Chennai Super Kings secured a very easy 10-wicket win over Kings XI Punjab after they were able to restrict the hosts to 138 runs, though a sloppy start leaked some runs from Chennai in the beginning. Openers Murali Vijay and Michael Hussey looked flawless while chasing the target and got it there in just 17.2 overs.
Punjab was asked to bat after Chennai won the toss, and they lost Gilchrist early when he was caught at leg gully by Hussey off Dirk Nannes and the team kept losing wickets at regular intervals, though the run-rate was well maintained by the middle order batsmen David Hussey and Gurkeerat Singh. As soon as these batsmen fell, it took not much for Chennai to take all the other wickets, and the last 5 overs for Kings XI Punjab cost them 6 wickets, where they managed to score just 23 runs.
David Hussey scored 41 off 36 balls, while Gurkeerat Singh scored 31 from 26 balls. Dirk Nannes, Chris Morris shared two wickets each, while Dwayne Bravo claimed three wickets.
The chase was slow for most of the innings, and after Chennai Super Kings were on 74 from 12 overs, they started the attack with all the wickets still intact and in no time, Hussey reached his half-century and hammered two sixes while Murali Vijay didn’t rise the pace, as he too got to his half-century, and none of the bowlers for Punjab could be successful against the opening pair.
Michael Hussey’s quickfire innings had 86 runs from 54 balls, with the strike rate of 159.25 and the 86 had 11 fours and 2 sixes.
- Indian Premier League – 11th match
- Played at Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali, Chandigarh
- Kings XI Punjab 138 (19.5/20 ov)
- Chennai Super Kings 139/0 (17.2/20 ov)
- Chennai Super Kings won by 10 wickets (with 16 balls remaining)
Kings XI Punjab innings
- David Hussey 41 (36 balls, 4 fours, 1 six)
- Gurkeerat Singh 31 (26 balls, 3 fours)
- Dwayne Bravo 4-0-27-3
- Dirk Nannes 3.5-0-17-2
Chennai Super Kings innings
- Michael Hussey 86* (54 balls, 11 fours, 2 sixes)
- Murali Vijay 50 (50 balls, 3 fours, 1 six)